The Great Chinese Calligraphy and Painting exhibition opened in Sokolniki
Exhibit hall 7a in Sokolniki Museum and Educational Centre has launched the most anticipated cultural event of the year – “The Great Chinese Calligraphy and Painting” exhibition, designed to celebrate a landmark date, the 70th anniversary of establishing diplomatic ties between the Russian Federation and the People’s Republic of China. The event gathered more than 400 masterpieces by renowned artists from various Chinese provinces under one roof.
Prior to the exhibition, the representatives of the “Sharp-pointed Nibs” association of calligraphers, and the Heilongjiang Province Association of Calligraphy met with the senator Sergey Mitin in the Federation Council, while the State Duma hosted a meeting between the representative delegation of artists and calligraphers of Beijing and Guangdong province, and the Deputy of the State Duma, and the Deputy Chairman of the State Duma Committee for Education and Science, Lyubov Dukhanina.
At 3:00 PM the sounds of national anthems of Russia and China started the ceremonial opening of the exhibition, which featured many guests of honour, including the following:
- Ivan Melnikov, the Deputy Chairman of the Russian State Duma, Chairman of the Association for Russian and Chinese Friendship;
- Deputy Chairman of the Association for Russian and Chinese Friendship, Galina Kulikova, holder of the Order of Friendship of the People's Republic of China, the highest Chinese state award to be presented to foreigners;
- Elena Greshnyakova, the member of the Russian Federation Council, the member of the Federation Council Committee for Science, Education and Culture;
- Lyubov Dukhanina, the Deputy Chairman of the State Duma Committee, and the Deputy of the Russian State Duma;
- Natalia Pilyus, the Deputy of the Russian State Duma, and the member of the Russian State Duma Committee for Culture;
- Alexey Shaburov, organizer of the exhibition, Director of the Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy;
- Mr. Su Fangjiu, the Minister Plenipotentiary of the Embassy of China to Russia;
- Mr. Zhang Huaqing, Chairman of the “Sharp-pointed Nibs” calligraphy association
- Mr. Zhao Xueli, Director of the Academy of Calligraphy and Painting of the Chinese Political Consultative Conference in Heilongjiang province, calligraphy artist;
- Mr. Fu Jihong, the Deputy Head of the Office of Foreign Affairs in Shanghai Major Office.
Ivan Melnikov, the Deputy Chairman of the Russian State Duma, Chairman of the Association for Russian and Chinese Friendship, gave a welcoming speech, noting the growth of friendship and strengthening relations over the last few years: “Russian citizens demonstrate increasing interest towards Chinese culture and learn Chinese. Opening of the “Great Chinese Calligraphy and Painting” exhibition is the most important step in this direction,” he said.
Zhang Huaqing, Chairman of the “Sharp-pointed Nibs” calligraphy association, in his speech shared that the association had to thoroughly select more than 100 artworks (including calligraphy, painting, and stone seal carving), therefore the exhibition showcased the best masterpieces. He also mentioned his meeting with the Premier of China in the Kremlin, where he had informed about the association taking part in the event and earned the Premier’s approval.
Between September 20 and 22 the exhibition will feature numerous talks, practical calligraphy workshops, musical performances, readings of Chinese poetry, and much more. The guests will find out the basics of various writing techniques, discover the fascinating history of Chinese calligraphy and the impact it had on the global art, and will take a dive into the magnificent world of Chinese culture.
For full exhibition agenda, please see the Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy website.